June 7, 2015

Book Review: Shadows of the Ancients (The Ancients Book 1) by Christine M. Butler

The Ancients Book 1
Title: Shadows of the Ancients
Author: Christine M. Butler
Series: The Ancients Book 1
Pages: 225
My Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

No one ever questions the pairings their pack-master chooses for them. No one, except Jessica St. Marks, who can't stand the thought of being bonded for life to Zach Brighton, douchebag extraordinaire.

Jessica plans a night out with her human friend, Ashley, to have a little fun before she's forced to settle for the loser her pack has chosen to be her mate. Little does she know, her fate is about to change when she runs into a mystery wolf who takes her breath away, and marks her as his own.

Evan De'Lune may be new and exciting, but he has secrets that threaten to not only put Jessica's life in danger, but his ability to keep his claim on her as well!


You never know what you are going to get into with a free book, but this one in particular had a 4 1/2 star rating and an interesting little synopsis. It also had werewolves, which is something I am totally loving at the moment! I thought hey I'll give it a shot...

I was definitely not disappointed!! Jess is a great strong female character, and I absolutely love her best friend Ashley!! Whenever Ashley opens her mouth, or even sends a text to Jess, it is almost 100% guaranteed to make you smile or even laugh out loud! So, not only does the book have that going for it, but it also has some pretty great eye candy, which is always a plus in my book!

I thought that the overall story was very entertaining. The book follows Jessica, a wolf shifter that has been promised to a complete douche named Zach. She goes out one night to a club with her friend Ashley to get her mind off her predicament. She probably did not expect to just get herself in an even deeper pile of crap though. She inadvertently gets herself marked by strong powerful wolf, that she does not even know the name of. She just knows that there is this intense attraction that she cannot deny and is just drawn to him. She does find out the name of the one who has staked a claim on her, and **spoiler** it's Evan.

Evan seems like the perfect guy for her. Jess has never been attracted to anyone or even shown an interest in anyone before now. He seems to do everything right, the problem is he comes with a lot of problems...and danger.

Butler does a FANTASTIC job of throwing in surprises and keeping lots of humor in a story filled with looming danger and consequences. Right after I finished this book, I immediately went to the kindle store and bought the second installment. Now be aware I never do this unless I absolutely love a book and just feel compelled and excited to keep reading! I am not kidding around, I am serious, this book was fantastic and had me staying up all night, and buying and starting the second book at three in the morning! I just couldn't help myself!!


No comments:

Post a Comment