June 26, 2015

Book Review: Obsidian (Lux Series Book 1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Lux Series Book 1
Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux Book 1
Pages: 335
My Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring...until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.



After a lengthy discussion with a girl in my Anatomy class, I decided I had to read Obsidian again. We talked about that book for a while, and I asked her if the rest of the series was good, and she said that it was pretty great. Over Christmas break my freshman year, I read both Obsidian, and the second book in the series, Onyx. I remembered that I really enjoyed it, it's just for some reason I never got around to finishing the series. And after talking to her about it, I knew that I had to. So, while I am still on hold for Just One Drop at the library, I decided to pick up and start Obsidian again.

Obsidian involves Katy, a girl who has just made the move from sunny Florida to some one stoplight town in West Virginia. Her mom decided that it was finally time to have a fresh start. After a very interesting encounter with one of her new neighbors, Katy is left fuming and decides that Daemon is practically the spawn of satan. As luck would have it though, he is one of the most attractive guys she has ever seen, and cannot help but become best friends with his sister, Dee. The more Katy gets to know them, the more she starts to think something is off about them. Turns out Katy is not as crazy as she thought, and they are actual aliens, from a galaxy far far away...

I cannot give enough praise for this book!! Armentrout created a very kick-ass character that is absolutely without a doubt one of my favorite characters...ever. Not only does Katy love books, but she is very witty and not afraid to put Daemon in his place. She stands up for what she believes in and will do whatever it takes to save the people she cares about. The tension between her and her favorite jerk, Daemon is undeniable. They have some major chemistry! I loved how they got under each other's skin and was often left laughing at their little arguments. I cannot be more disappointed in myself for not having this series as a priority and finishing it when I read Obsidian the first time. Oh well, I just had to re-read it again. Hmm, the things I do for good books...

"The day my internet was hooked up was better than having a hot guy check out my butt and ask for my phone number."

"Yeah, it's kind of a hobby. What's yours? Kicking puppies?"

"To Daemon, my arrival was the beginning of the end. The apocalypse. Kat-mageddon."

"Oh, you're an expert in crazy people now?"
"A month with you and I feel I have a master's degree in the subject."


No comments:

Post a Comment