December 27, 2015

Book Review: Darkfever (Fever Series Book 1) by Karen Marie Moning

Fever Series Book 1
Title: Darkfever
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Series: Fever #1
Pages: 347
My Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤

Hunting her sister's murderer in the gritty streets of Dublin, MacKayla Lane discovers a power she didn't know she possessed: the ability to track an ancient evil lost by the immortal race that created it - a dangerous relic coveted my mortal and immortal alike. In this deadly game of life-and-death stakes, is there anyone MacKayla can trust?




I really enjoyed Darkfever! Mac is on a quest to find her sister's killer and even travels overseas...alone, to the scene of the crime. She does not find at all what she expected. Instead, she discovers a world that she never knew existed. In Darkfever we get just a taste of what this new world really is. I am looking forward to Moning expanding it as the series progresses. So far though, the picture that Moning has painted does not look like that world is very inviting, especially to Mac.

After getting about halfway through the book, I went ahead and checked out the next three from the library (a little excessive, I know). I just knew that this was going to be a series that I liked. It is a bit edgier than my typical reads, and I found Mac to be a pretty relatable character. I mean, we both love pink nail polish!! Okay, there is more to it than that. She is at a point in her life where everything is changing and must choose between letting go of the past, or running away from her future. Everyone goes through this at least one point in their life.

The copy of Darkfever that I got my hands on included a note from the author. In this note, Moning wrote about how this was not her typical subject she wrote about. She explained that "Sometimes you don't get a choice. A story shows up on your doorstep and stalks you until you tell it." I am so glad that Moning stepped outside her comfort zone and gave us the story that demanded to be told.


"Dealing with the Fae is like dealing with any addiction - you give in, they'll own you; you resist, they never will."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment